- Open Microsoft Word. Its a blue app with a white "W" on it.You can also open an existing document by double-clicking it.. This will open a new document in Word. tab. Youll see it near the top of the Word window
- directly to the right of the Home tab.. Its in the "Header & Footer" section thats on the right side of the row of options near the top of the screen. Youll see a list of header options in a drop-down menu.These options will vary depending on your Office subscription type and version of Word.Click a header option. In most cases
- youll just click the Blank option
- since it will apply to the majority of Word documents necessitating a header. Selecting an option will add it to your document.Type in your headers text. This is the text that will appear at the top of every page.. Doing so will apply it to your document; youll see your header text at the top of each page.Double-click your header text. Doing so will open the Header options menu in the bar near the top of the Word window.Review the headers basic settings. There are a couple of aspects of the header that you can edit in the "Options" and "Position" sections:Different First Page - Check this box to customize your documents first pages header. It will appear different than the header on the rest of the pages.Header Position - Change the number in the "Header from Top" box to raise or lower the headers position on the page.Click and drag your cursor across the header text. This will select it
- which will allow you to modify it as needed.If youre using the "Different First Page" option
- youll need to do this on a page other than the first for your changes to apply across your document (first page aside). tab. Doing so will allow you to edit the header by using options in the following sections:Font - Edit your texts font
- and general formatting (e.g.
- bolding or underlining).Paragraph - Change your headers orientation (e.g.
- centered).Double-click the "Header" tab. Its below your headers text; doing so will save your changes and close the header section.